Tuskegee University,

private, coeducational institution of higher education in Tuskegee, Ala., U.S. It is a historically black, land-grant university, offering about 45 bachelor's and 20 master's degree programs through the College of Arts and Sciences and schools of Agriculture and Home Economics, Business, Education, Engineering and Architecture, and Nursing and Allied Health. The school of Veterinary Medicine grants a professional degree. Research is conducted at the George Washington Carver Agricultural Experiment Station (established 1896) and at the Carver Research Foundation (1940). The Hollis Burke Frissell Library, built in 1932, houses the Washington Collection and Archives, specializing in Africa and African-American artifacts. The George Washington Carver Museum was dedicated in 1941, damaged by fire in 1947, and enlarged in 1951. There are about 3,300 students in enrollment.

In 1880 the state of Alabama passed a bill that approved the formation of a school for training black teachers. Tuskegee Normal and Industrial Institute was founded in 1881 and opened that same year under the leadership of Booker T. Washington, the school's first president. The school was coeducational, and the curriculum focused on agriculture and industry as well as education. In 1896 Washington persuaded botanist George Washington Carver to head the agriculture department, which provided assistance to local farmers. At his death Washington was replaced by  Robert Russa Moton (served 1915-35), who was, in turn, succeeded by Frederick D. Patterson (1935-53), the founder of the United Negro College Fund (1944). In 1941 faculty member Charles G. Gomillion organized the  Tuskegee Civic Association, which worked for civil rights and public services for local blacks. The university was attended by authors Claude McKay and Ralph Ellison.